1989-1900 Club History/Activities
The Rotary Club of Memphis voted on May 9, 1989 to charter a new club to be named The Rotary Club of Memphis East and agreed to share its territory with the new club.
First provisional club meeting on August 23, 1989 hosted by Dick Reynolds, then President of The Rotary Club of Memphis, at the Holiday Inn on Poplar Avenue at Interstate 240.
The Rotary Club of Memphis East was founded on September 27, 1989. There were 56 charter members. The official Rotary International charter was granted on October 2, 1989. A Charter Presentation Gala was held at The Memphis Marriott Hotel on December 15, 1989. Meetings moved to the Racquet Club in January, 1990. Membership at Rotary year end was 67.